Friday 31 January 2014

Hair, hair and more hair

So last night in the shower I was admiring how long my hair has grown, especially considering I hacked it all off up to my jaw line in the summer of 2010 to see if I'd suit short hair (I really, really don't), that means in three and a half years - and with about 6" worth of trims - my hair is now closer to my toes than my belly button is! Which is about 2 feet of growth total - or about 6" every year, though I'm not sure if this is above or below average for hair growth; I just find it interesting.

Anyway this is what my hair looked like this morning straight out of bed:

One of my more flattering childhood nicknames was 'Wild Thing'

Obviously since my hair is so curly I lose almost 6" of length when it's dry, but I'm very OK with that considering that when I last straightened my hair (it's an annual event) I found it completely unmanageable in all its straight silky glory.


8am is not the time I like to take photos of myself - meet FlatBear

I also get a lot of questions about what I "do" to my hair - the short answer: occasionally wash it and let it do it's thang. The long answer:

  • Wash it with whatever shampoo is at hand, I normally go for anything that says "for dry/damaged/curly etc" hair or baby shampoo but am also really tempted by anything that smells nice. I have long since given up trying to avoid SLS's and even longer ago abandoned the whole "no-poo" baking soda and apple cider vinegar malarky - it way way too much effort for little to no results.
  • Condition it preferably with a silicone free conditioner (my favourite is VO5 Nourish My Shine) and brush it through with a Tangle Teezer - any other brush or comb makes me cry with frustration, yank at and break my hair.
  • Towel dry it in one of those micro-fibre turban things and forget it about it for however long it takes me to brush my teeth/tidy my room/watch Buffy etc.
  • Apply products after a quick comb through to pull it all back from my face (so no partings) and run a US quarter sized puddle of Argan Oil (whatever brand is both cheap and pure) then sometimes 1-2 pumps of Bed Head Foxy Curls Contour Cream through it with my fingers, avoiding the roots and focusing on the ends.
  • Sleep on it damp - neither my mother nor my grandmother approve of this but I have a warm bedroom and never get sick, plus is helps my curls fully form and even if I had all the time in the world I still wouldn't have time to use a hair dryer or a straightener.

My current conditioner of choice

Sometimes I plait my hair before bed if I know I'm not doing anything special the next day - this keeps it tangle free so I can go an extra day without washing it since it's partially formed dreads, not greasy roots, that motivate me to wash my hair every 3-4 days. Or if for some strange reason I decide to wash my hair in the middle of the day and it's below freezing outside I borrow a hairdryer, flip my hair upside down and blast it, however I just don't like doing this so it's only when I would otherwise get hair-cicles.

The savior of long and knotty hair.
This is the 'Aqua Splash' model - the 'Original' one literally fell apart at the 3 month mark

And that's it - I don't own a straightener or a hairdryer, have never dyed my hair, had extensions, styled it or really done anything except to get a trim every 6-9 months. The pickiest thing I do with my hair is only let one specific hairdresser cut it since she somehow manages to layer it so I get all over volume rather than the dreaded 'triangle hair'. If I can't get any of the above fancy products (which happens quite often when I travel or backpack) any plant derived oil through the ends helps tame the frizz, and if my hair's appearance ranks even lower than it does now there's always a plait.


A note on Bed Head Foxy Curls Contour Cream: it is so crazily silicone heavy if you leave a smear out to dry overnight it literally dries to a hard plastic like consistency, hence why I avoid silicone conditioners so as not to cause a crazy silicone buildup (and also why I'm also OK with using SLS shampoos as they alone can completely wash away these silicones), the main reason I love it though is because it feels like nothing is in my hair. Mooses give that awful crunchy and dry/brittle sensation, gels and creams weigh down your curls/hair and look/feel greasy, serums are nice but they don't really help form curls and oils are the same. It also smells like candy which I'm ambivalent towards, but I wish the pump had a lock function for travelling.




Bonus - I found this test shot from my Illamasqua lipstick review - pre black lipstick - and rather like it so here you go!


Saskia X

2 comments:

  1. One thing I can say is, you have a gorgeous curly hair! This is the kind of curls that every girl wishes to have. Some may even undergo different beauty treatments or hair extension just to achieve this. And thanks for sharing your tips, btw. You know that maintaining a curly hair is quite a challenge for some. But with this, every girl will know now the proper care it needs.

    Erick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to hate my hair (and had it chemically straightened when I was 13) but now the only complaint I have now is how long it takes to detangle in the shower!

      Delete